Christian Creative Writers

A FREE CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  SpotlightSpotlight  JesusJesus  
NO REGISTRATION**FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**POST YOUR POETRY OR STORIES AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**WRITERS RESOURCES**NO REGISTRATION**CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION**NO REGISTRATION**GREAT WRITING TIPS**
Share | 

Allah's Marketplace

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Doug Blair
ADMIN II
ADMIN II

CCW GOLD MEMBER CCW GOLD MEMBER
POETRY CONTEST WINNER POETRY CONTEST WINNER

PostSubject: Allah's Marketplace   Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:10 am

Allah's Marketplace

The Arabic Christian, Hany, quietly looked for a corner in the busy Cairo market to set up his little table. This would be his second attempt at giving out free New Testaments. The pastor of his house church had given him the requisite warnings and advice. “Allah” was in charge of that place and all of the authorities.

For the first two hours no takers. Most women, with faces covered, breezed by without making eye contact. A couple of curious elderly men, and evidently quite poor, took copies. A couple of little boys headed in Hany’s direction but were re-routed by their mothers.

Then a group of five young men approached. The evident leader stepped forward and asked what he was trying to sell.

“Not selling anything. I have Gospels of Jesus which I would like to give away.”

The cynical Egyptian took a copy, flipped through some pages, then threw it down into a puddle. He stepped forward boldly right into Hany’s face, paused and slapped him across the side of the head. The surprise and the impact of it put the Christian down on his backside. His face registered only disappointment. He picked himself up and slapped off the dust. Facing the other he could only respond, “So, I guess you are not interested for the time being?”

The Muslim spun around, robe swishing, and paced away, “Allah be praised”.

The remaining two hours were uneventful. A couple of elderly women engaged in conversation, but no Gospels changed hands.

The next week, undeterred, Hany was back in the same spot. Who should appear in the second hour, alone? The same man with the same sour disposition toward Christian “crusaders”. He walked briskly up to Hany, stared at him for a full moment, and said: ” I had been told some very peculiar things about people like you. It was said that if you were struck, you were compelled to turn the other cheek and to invite another blow, if necessary. No retaliation. This was the word of your prophet Jesus. Sure enough, last week you obeyed!”

“I would like to take one of your books, please. I will look at it this week. Perhaps next market I will bring some of my friends here as well.”
Back to top Go down
http://justhappeneduponthis.wordpress.com/ http://momentsmidstream.blogspot.com/
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II

CCW SUPPORTER CCW SUPPORTER
2x POETRY CONTEST WINNER 2X POETRY CONTEST WINNER

PostSubject: Re: Allah's Marketplace   Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:07 am

...and with the flip of a circuit breaker...turbines whirring, mighty waters rushing, city on a hill bursts into illumination!

dove 

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible."
- Thomas Aquinas

God Bless
Back to top Go down
Doug Blair
ADMIN II
ADMIN II

PostSubject: Re: Allah's Marketplace   Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Comannnn, OEW...I heard the story from somebody else. Beautiful example of Christ in shoeleather...Doug
Back to top Go down
http://justhappeneduponthis.wordpress.com/ http://momentsmidstream.blogspot.com/
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II

PostSubject: Re: Allah's Marketplace   Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:12 pm

thanks for clarifying that...i honestly believed that you had written this, didn't see the credit given to the original author.

dove 

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible."
- Thomas Aquinas

God Bless
Back to top Go down
Doug Blair
ADMIN II
ADMIN II

PostSubject: Re: Allah's Marketplace   Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:59 pm

Story idea from a devotional book. Written in my words. Mom has a collection of annuals entitled The Friendship Book. Got this one while answering the call of nature years ago.
Back to top Go down
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II

PostSubject: Re: Allah's Marketplace   Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:16 pm

that's usually when i find things wrong with my truck, leaning against it on the shoulder of an off ramp answering emergency calls of nature more frequent when one is down to only one partial kidney (hmmm....when did that bracket break?).

dove 

- Thomas Aquinas

God Bless
Back to top Go down

Allah's Marketplace
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Share this topic...
Link this topic
URL:
BBCode:
HTML:
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Christian Creative Writers :: CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM :: Fiction Novels & Short Stories-