Christian Creative Writers

A FREE CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  SpotlightSpotlight  JesusJesus  
NO REGISTRATION**FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**POST YOUR POETRY OR STORIES AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**WRITERS RESOURCES**NO REGISTRATION**CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION**NO REGISTRATION**GREAT WRITING TIPS**
Share | 

Natural enemies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JoeT
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)

CCW SUPPORTER CCW SUPPORTER

PostSubject: Natural enemies   Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:11 pm

Natural enemies

Act 2:41,42

Those who accepted his message were baptized and about three thousand were added to their number that day. They devoted themselves to the apostle’s teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

Have you ever seen, heard or participated in such a revival meeting? The punch line of the message was, “Save yourselves from this wicked generation.”
Three thousand people added to the church in a day. They believed, not in a message that soothed their ears, but one that cut to the heart. By God’s grace their response is perfect, “What shall we do?” With this frame of mind and soul God can do something, and he does not disappoint. He liberally pours out the Holy Spirit on all who repent and are baptized.
Who would not want to be a charter member of this church plant? A generous God doles out his free gift and works wonders through his people. Honestly though, it seems a bit surreal, a one-off unusual time, a heavenly mirage spilled on this dusty earth. But wait, these people are just like you and I. God still gives gifts. He has not changed. Perhaps then we have.
Granted, this early church did have a special characteristic called devotion. This is a rarely sighted quality today. It is an endangered species and its greatest natural enemy is called distraction. Lurking everywhere, distraction is ready to destroy and devour.
The new church devoted themselves to the apostle’s teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and last, but certainly not least, to prayer. In one efficient step, prayer kills distraction and nourishes devotion.
Oh, I find it a difficult task; setting aside time to pray, time to maintain my devotion let alone extra time to help it grow. Then in Acts 3, I read about Peter and Paul going to the temple to pray at 3 o’clock in the afternoon probably summoned by the call of a trumpet or horn. This is the exact same time, over two thousand years later, that the buzzer goes off at my workplace to signal afternoon coffee time. So I thought I could use this buzzer for my summons to prayer as I take a moment to walk through the factory to my locker and grab my coffee cup.

Last edited by JoeT on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
worshipfreely
WRITERS’ MENTOR (500 + posts)
WRITERS’ MENTOR (500 + posts)

CCW GOLD MEMBER CCW GOLD MEMBER
POETRY CONTEST WINNER POETRY CONTEST WINNER

PostSubject: Re: Natural enemies   Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:22 am

Well said, and great point. I'm glad you made that correlation and devotion to use your time more wisely. We could all take this internally and and to heart.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Natural enemies   Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:21 am

I love how you put these two verses together with the message for more prayer and devotion. When you speak of how important it is to pray, I couldn't agree more, and I would like to add that even when we designate a prayer time, it is easy to let your mind wonder and be a distraction in itself. Sometimes I find it helpful to be reading the Word while I pray too. Somehow it helps me to focus.

Thena
ADMIN II
ADMIN II

CCW GOLD MEMBER CCW GOLD MEMBER
CCW SUPPORTER CCW SUPPORTER
POETRY & SHORT STORY CONTESTS WINNER POETRY & SHORT STORY CONTESTS WINNER

PostSubject: Re: Natural enemies   Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:51 pm

I have often thought God deserves a tithe of our time as well as our funds.

Loved your writing.

Back to top Go down
http://thena.typepad.com
Lora
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Natural enemies   Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:54 pm

Well said Miss Thena!

Natural enemies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Share this topic...
Link this topic
URL:
BBCode:
HTML:
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Christian Creative Writers :: CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM :: Bible Studies & Sermons-