Christian Creative Writers

A FREE CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  SpotlightSpotlight  JesusJesus  
NO REGISTRATION**FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**POST YOUR POETRY OR STORIES AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**WRITERS RESOURCES**NO REGISTRATION**CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION**NO REGISTRATION**GREAT WRITING TIPS**
Share | 

you broke all the rules

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
s.t.mann
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)

WINNER OF 3 OR MORE SHORT STORY CONTESTS WINNER OF MULTIPLE SHORT STORY CONTESTS

PostSubject: you broke all the rules   Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:08 pm

You Broke ALL the Rules!

A few years ago, before I was ‘a writer’, our loving heavenly Father placed me in a succession of front row seats so I could clearly observe Him in action. Dozens of times. Especially when I adjusted my schedule for His. When I realized how often He was placing me in His front row, and just how intricate the details usually were, my heart compelled me to keep a record of what He showed me.

…remember His marvelous works which He has done, His wonders… [Psalms 105:5]

Asking God for inspiration, out flowed a few stories that I would enjoy reminiscing over in time to come. The stories combined the facts and details with maybe a partial dose of my own mischievousness. Never one to pay overly much attention to protocols of the Queen’s English, I sprinkled around a few passages of Scripture for penance. Should a reader not like the story, at least he was fed some of God’s Word!

For fun, I showed a few stories to two or three God-fearing friends. One, for example, was a pen pal I have never met. She gushed over, and then shared the stories with her daughter, a college literature major. The daughter showed them to a classmate and to her professor. ‘WHO wrote these?’ the professor demanded. The consensus was clear – the stories should be published!

…in the multitude of counselors plans are established… [Proverbs 15:22]

Being a ‘published writer’ was never my intent. In fact, it never occurred to me. We are talking about someone who spent his entire life staying as far as possible from English teacher types. And their offspring. I even chose a profession that paid the bills without the benefit of university level English. But it was obvious that the time had come to attend a ‘writers convention’ - I needed to get the friends off my back!

So I forced open some time to allow me to be away from my busy business, At the last minute, right before jumping into my vehicle to drive 6 hours to the conference, I read the brochure one last time - ‘IF YOU WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO REGISTER, YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND THE SEMINARS YOU HOPE FOR; SEATING IS VERY LIMITED!’ So I called the 800 number and signed up for some seminars and workshops…whatever was left over. No sense sweating all the advanced planning…I figured God would put me in whatever courses He wanted. Needless to say, that ’30 Rules for Writing Successful Short Stories’ workshop thing was His idea, not mine!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths… [Proverbs 3:5-6]

The only seat remaining by the time I arrived for ’30 Rules…’was in the front row…hmmm. Not my idea of a good time. Nonetheless, I paid attention - something about subjects or predicates. Complete sentences. Avoiding alliteration always. Not using slang and stuff. And not starting sentences with conjunctions…

As it turned out, the silly computer had scheduled me for a one-on-one consultation with a publisher’s rep immediately after ’30 Rules…’ When I arrived at the place where I was to meet him…whoa - not good news…it was the same man…the one with all the rules!

He asked who I was, why I was there, and if I brought any stories he could glance at.
I told him ‘some friends told me I should attend’. That I was a ‘barely-literate engineer’. As I handed him a few stories, I told him matter-of-factly - ‘these will blow you away.’

I watched as he thoughtfully read the stories. His face told me he was moved! He finished the stories and carefully put down the papers. Then laughed! Out loud!

He struggled with what he would say next. ‘You broke ALL the rules’ he said slowly as he shook his head. Then quickly added – ‘I LOVE it!!’ With enthusiasm!

He became my first publisher. On the spot!

A gift for writing? Nah…at least not according to the test scores! I don’t think about it much either. Whether there is a ‘gift’ or isn’t, I have no control, But I do have control of whether or not I am willing to adjust my preconceived schedule for our loving heavenly Father. And whether or not I pay attention when He puts me in the front row!

But by the grace of God I am what I am:
and His grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain…
[1 Corinthians 15:10]

© 2011 - S.T.Mann, All Rights Reserved
Back to top Go down
http://s.t.mann on facebook
Lora
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: you broke all the rules   Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:26 pm

Hello s.t. mann,
Welcome to Christian Creative Writers. I'm so glad you joined us. What a moving testimony. You have my attention and I'm dying to read some of your work. I look forward to getting to know you. Many blessings to you!

s.t.mann
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)

WINNER OF 3 OR MORE SHORT STORY CONTESTS WINNER OF MULTIPLE SHORT STORY CONTESTS

PostSubject: Re: you broke all the rules   Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:29 pm

well thank you! our loving heavenly Father has put me in the front row and GIVEN me 40+ true stories of inspiration based on my own experiences! all i have to do is pay attention and put down what i saw!

grace and peace, friend...

Back to top Go down
http://s.t.mann on facebook
PatsyDyer
WRITER (51-100 posts)
WRITER (51-100 posts)

CCW GOLD MEMBER CCW GOLD MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: you broke all the rules   Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:45 pm

I really enjoyed reading this...

Back to top Go down
http://www.patsydyer.com

you broke all the rules